XTRA LOAD tires offer highest rating for casing and load capacity for 40- to 80-ton payload trucks
GREENVILLE, S.C., Oct. 2, 2018 — Michelin North America, Inc., is introducing the first-ever “3-star” 18.00R33 tire on the market for rigid dump trucks (RDT). A star rating is the industry’s indicator of load capacity for a given dimension as defined by the Tire and Rim Association. The new MICHELIN® X®TRA LOAD GRIP and the MICHELIN® X®TRA LOAD PROTECT will allow users to increase load capacity by 11 percent1 or accommodate more distance per hour to maximize productivity.
“Quarry managers demand continuity of operations,” said Jake Thompson, Michelin B2B North America mining marketing manager. “Rigid dump trucks are expected to move as much material as possible by moving faster or by carrying more load. This robust Michelin tire provides a solution that maximizes productivity and output of the quarry while delivering traction, damage resistance and increased tire life.”
The new MICHELIN XTRA LOAD tire is available for two surface RDT applications:
MICHELIN XTRA LOAD PROTECT for hard, sharp, abrasive conditions on flat, dry surfaces, where the priority is protection and damage resistance — conditions often found in quarries and construction sites. This application is for customers who want to carry up to 11 percent more load1 or increase the distances they carry up to a maximum speed of 21 mph2. With a 7 percent longer wear life3, the revolutionary tread pattern contains a greater volume of tread rubber4 and has better load distribution across the contact patch. This tire has interlocking blocks and improved heat dissipation, which reduces the temperature in the tread area by up to 17 degrees Fahrenheit5. Corrosion-proof cables within the tire structure increase aggression resistance.
MICHELIN XTRA LOAD GRIP for soft, loose, muddy ground conditions in mining and quarrying operations on slopes and inclines, where the priority is high grip and traction. A reinforced casing gives the tire an 11 percent higher payload1, or an increase of 12 tons in load capacity per machine1 — a huge increase in productivity when multiplied by the number of cycles made daily. The tread comprises 30 percent more biting lug edges, which improves braking, cornering and accelerating. The tire has the ability to handle speeds up to 21 mph thanks to cooler internal running temperatures4. The tire also provides 5 percent longer wear life7, with more rubber in the contact patch and improved damage resistance with corrosion-isolating steel cables.
Productivity is a function of load and distance covered in an hour, as measured by Ton Miles per Hour (TMPH). For the new XTRA LOAD GRIP, the TMPH is increased by at least 22 percent7 and 36 percent depending on the specific fitment compounding, when compared with previous Michelin ranges4. For the XTRA LOAD PROTECT, the TMPH is increased by at least 15.8 percent3 and 13.3 percent depending on the specific fitment compounding, when compared with previous Michelin ranges. This extended load and speed capability will allow users to optimize machine cycles and increase productivity. Greater volume of tread rubber8 in contact with the ground contributes to better load distribution, improved wear resistance and increased tire life.
1. Compared to the Bridgestone® VMTP and VRLS tires and MICHELIN® X®QUARRY™ S tires in size 18.00R33. Actual results may vary. (Sources: Bridgestone® OTR 2018 Data Book and Michelin 2017 Data Book.)
2. Compared to MICHELIN® X®QUARRY™ S tires. Actual results may vary.
3. Compared to MICHELIN® X®QUARRY™ S tires in size 18.00R33, based on field tests measurements and FARO-method measurements certified by the Michelin® Center of Technology. Actual results may vary.
4. Compared to MICHELIN® X® QUARRY™ S tires. Based on field test measurements from 2015 to 2017 and FARO-method measurements certified by the Michelin® Center of Technology. Actual results may vary.
5. Measurement certified by the Michelin® Center of Technology, comparison of MICHELIN® X®TRA LOAD Protect™ with MICHELIN® X® QUARRY™ S.
6. Compared to MICHELIN® X®QUARRY™ S tires in size 18.00R33. Actual results may vary.
7. Based on customer feedback on MICHELIN® X®TRA LOAD GRIP™ tire in size 24.00R35 based on field tests of 140 tires in 10 countries at 23 customer sites during 2016 and 2017. Compared to MICHELIN® X®TRACTION™ SC and MICHELIN® XDT™ B tires. Actual results may vary.
8. Compared to MICHELIN® XDT™ tires in size 18.00R33 and based on field test measurements and FARO-method measurements certified by the Michelin® Center of Technology. Actual results may vary.
9. Compared to MICHELIN® XDT™ A4 tires and MICHELIN® X®TRACTION™ SC tires in size 18.00R33. Actual results may vary.
About Michelin North America
Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks and motorcycles. The Company has earned a long-standing reputation for building innovative premium tires. In addition to tires, the Company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelinman.com) employs about 22,700 and operates 19 major manufacturing plants. Forbes magazine has ranked Michelin No. 1 on its annual survey of “Best Large Employers in America” for 2018. Learn more about purpose-driven careers with a purpose-driven company at jobs.michelinman.com.