GREENVILLE, S.C., Aug. 1, 2019 — Michelin North America today introduced a new size of the MICHELIN® XDR® 3 surface-mine haul tire ─ 37.00R57. Addressing the productivity and endurance issues found in today’s surface mines, the XDR3 was developed for a range of rigid dump trucks with payload capacity of up to 400 tons. Now available in seven sizes, this new XDR3 size expands the MICHELIN XDR3 portfolio, replacing the MICHELIN XDR2 line.
“Michelin provides solutions that support safety improvements, operational cost reductions and innovation at mines worldwide,” said Jake Thompson, Michelin North America’s B2B mining marketing manager. “This new tire combines the latest technologies from the 200 professionals working at our R&D center.”
Tested under extreme conditions before its launch, the MICHELIN XDR3 is designed for operator safety. Michelin’s revolutionary tread pattern provides excellent load distribution across the contact patch, lowers contact pressure and improves wear(2) and increases tire life by a minimum of 8%(3)(4). In addition, interlocking blocks of rubber on the shoulder help reduce wear(5). The XDR3 is MEMS-ready to capture and transmit temperature and pressure information in real time. The MEMS patch is compatible with tire additives and the patch is RFID equipped.
With 10% stronger corrosion-proof cables(5) incorporated into the tire architecture, the tire provides a significant upgrade in situations where this equipment is operated for up to 23 hours-per-day in extreme terrain.
(1) Internal comparison of +5% vs. 37.00R57 MICHELIN® XDR® 2.
(2) Compared to the MICHELIN® XDR® 2 37.00R57 tire with average performance at mine site. Projected improvement in tire life based on field performance in customer mine sites over a period of 29 months comparing the MICHELIN® XDR® 2, MICHELIN® XDR® 250 and MICHELIN® XP 57, sizes 40.00R57 and 53/80R63, including individual design improvements incorporated into the MICHELIN® XDR® 3 tire. Actual results may vary.
(3) Without any compromise on TKPH/TMPH.
(4) Internal comparison vs. 37.00R57 MICHELIN® XDR® 2
(5) Internal comparison vs. the 37.00R57 MICHELIN® XDR® 2 tire
About Michelin North America
Michelin, the leading mobility company, is dedicated to enhancing its clients’ mobility, sustainably; designing and distributing the most suitable tires, services and solutions for its clients’ needs; providing digital services, maps and guides to help enrich trips and travels and make them unique experiences; and developing high-technology materials that serve a variety of industries. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelinman.com) has more than 21,400 employees and operates 19 major manufacturing plants.